We respect and celebrate everyone’s uniqueness, supporting each other so that we can reach our full potential.
We show love for each other through acts of friendship and forgiveness.
We show resilience so that we feel confident to face any challenge.
By being the best we can be, we all shine brightly making our world and school a better place.
The Bible quote that underpins our vision is
“Let your light shine”
WHAT IS SPIRITUALITY?
Our vision incorporates our 5 steps to success of: RESPECT, LOVE, FRIENDSHIP, FORGIVENESS AND RESILIENCE.
St. Mary's Steps To Success
|RESPECT||Our pupils are encouraged to show respect for each other and our world in how we speak and how we behave.|
|LOVE||Our pupils show love for each other in how they care for, and support each other, demonstrating empathy and tolerance.|
|FRIENDSHIP||Our pupils demonstrate friendship for each other and for their fellow man, through their support and kind words.|
|FORGIVENESS||We aim to forgive the mistakes of others by talking through issues and listening to each other. We forgive ourselves when we make mistakes.|
|RESILIENCE||Our pupils understand that through mistakes we learn and adopt a growth mindset approach to everything they learn and do. They don’t give up on themselves or each other.|
Spirituality makes us who we are. It is our ability to reflect about our beliefs. It is being able to inform our perspective on life and our interest in and respect for different people’s faiths, feelings and values. It is those times in our everyday lives that affect or change us in order to make us a better person. It helps us to think about who we are, how we can improve the lives of others and as a result improve our happiness through sharing, caring and being kind. Spirituality allows us to experience and appreciate the beauty of our world and all things great. It is that sense of enjoyment and being fascinated in learning about ourselves, others and the world around us.
SPIRITUAL DEVELOPMENT AT GOMERSAL ST MARY’S CE PRIMARY SCHOOL:
- Encourage open discussions in all areas of the curriculum
- Challenge thinking through Big Questions
- Time for reflection on events and be able to express our personal views
- Singing together – sharing joy and reflection
- Providing opportunities for children to learn through making mistakes and have the emotional literacy skills to talk through the experience
- Awareness of self and the impact they can have on others
- Appreciate ourselves as individuals who have much to offer
Structures to support and develop spirituality:
- WE Schools
- Picture News
- Daily Collective Worship medium term plan
- SMSC books
- RE Big Books
- Liturgy within Collective Worship
- Opportunities across the curriculum
- Displays around school
- Visits and visitors support our curriculum and create opportunities for challenge and reflection
- PSHE/RSE lessons
- Pastoral team/restorative justice